This story appears during FCA Magazine’s March/April 2018 issue.
Maria Taylor Born:
May 12, 1987 Hometown:
Georgia Career: ESPN
Reporter for "College GameDay" and "Saturday Night Football"
Host of "SEC Nation"
ESPN sideline reporter
(2014-12) IMG College at Georgia
Host and reporter
In 2017, Maria Taylor became a reporter for ESPN's "College GameDay" and ABC "Saturday Night Football." Taylor, before her promotion, was the host of SEC Network's pregame show, "SEC Nation," alongside analysts Tim Tebow, Marcus Spears and Paul Finebaum. In college basketball, she is a host of "Big Monday" and the NCAA's Women's Final Four studio coverage. Taylor is an accomplished sideline reporter for men's basketball and is also an analyst on other SEC and ESPN telecasts, which includes volleyball and women's basketball.
FCA Magazine interviewed Taylor about her background, both in faith and sports broadcast journalism. You can check out the latest issue by clicking here.
1. My favorite Bible verse is Ephesians 2:10. It tells us that every person is a handiwork of God and that we were placed on this Earth to do works that He has already laid out for us.
2. I intentionally bring my faith into my work by always remembering that my job is not my identity. I find my identity in Christ.
3. Something most people don't know about being on TV is that there are hundreds of people who aren't on-air talent that make the broadcast happen.
4. The ministry of FCA is important because it reminds athletes that they are performing for an audience of ONE on and off the court or field and that there is nothing they can do or say to gain more love than they have already been given by Jesus.
5. One piece of career advice I’d share is choose a career path that matches the strengths that God has blessed you with. Everyone was put on this earth to serve a unique purpose. Find that and a career that helps you live out your purpose.
6. One piece of spiritual advice I’d share with kids is never stop praying. Even the shortest prayers can keep you close to God and relying on Him. When I find myself not praying as much I also find myself drifting away from God. But when I talk to God about everything I can feel Him working in my life and working on me.
Photos courtesy of ESPN Communications.