This story appears during FCA Magazine’s May/June 2018 issue.
Cydney Clanton Born:
July 18, 1989 Hometown:
Concord, North Carolina
Auburn Career: LPGA Tour
In June 2011, Cydney Clanton became a professional golfer on the LPGA Tour by qualifying on her first attempt. Since then, she has been an improving golfer on the tour, as she played in a career-high 25 events last year.
Growing up in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Clanton learned golf at age 10. Clanton’s amateur career was a success, too. She won the North & South Amateur Championship in 2010. At Auburn, she won two events, including the 2009 NCAA Fall Preview, as a three-time All-American. As a member of the team, the Tigers won two SEC Championships. She was also named the NGCA freshman player of the year in 2008.
FCA Magazine interviewed Clanton about her background, both in faith and golf. You can check out the latest issue by clicking here.
1. The person who has had the greatest spiritual impact on me is my dad, Bobby Clanton. He has shown me what having a relationship with Jesus Christ looks like.
2. My favorite golf course I've played is The Ocean Course at the Kiawah Island Golf Resort in South Carolina. It’s tough. It’s beautiful. And, it’s always in good shape.
3. I intentionally bring Jesus into my golf game by doing my best to hand over control to God.
4. Being a Christ-follower means that you have a personal relationship with Christ. That you are talking to Him, praying to Him, reading the Bible and growing in your knowledge of Him.
5. One piece of career advice I’d share is do it all! Don’t become singularly focused so early. Try all the sports that interest you and be a kid! You have plenty of time to be an adult.
6. One piece of spiritual advice I’d share with kids is give up control. You will be able to accomplish more when you allow God to be in control. He will take you places you never
thought you would go.
Photos courtesy of the LPGA Tour/Getty Images.